Saturday, August 22, 2009

Love Bunni Press West Coast

Today, for the second time in my life, I went to the San Francisco Zine Fest. This time I was solo but it brought back fond memories of the first time ... in 2006. On that day, I was there with my now husband, R. John Piche'. We were on a trip to San Francisco and had gotten engaged the day before (actually, we had agreed we'd get married). John happened to notice in the paper that the Zine Fest was happening and, as the creative force behind what is and has been Love Bunni Press (LBP), we had to go.

Fast forward three years later ... It has been a crazy summer of transition. John and I are moving to San Francisco. I have already relocated and John, being such a trooper, is trailing behind trying to sell our little house in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. (I had asked for a transfer and, when my job gave it to me, they needed me to move right away ... lest anyone think he just picked the short straw.) I miss him a lot and can't wait for him to finally be here.

I think that the transition is going to be interesting for him and a shot-in-the-arm to his beloved LBP. On our wedding day, I was describing what it's like to be with John in Cleveland to the mother of close friend of mine and she said, "Oh, so you've married a local character." Truer words, truer words ... But, of course, he won't be that out here. His reputation won't precede him. On the other hand, there is so much more for him to be a part of here. I have heard (but I am not the one to know these things) that the zine community is big in San Francisco ... as are other small press, independent publishing endeavors. So, looking around the County Fair Building in Golden Gate Park today, I thought, "Don't worry about it, John. The 'kids' will love you here."

No comments:

Post a Comment